OK, the mermaid is pretty much done - I have a couple more hours of texturing and touching-up, but I’ve got all day tomorrow. We put her on a truck for Norfolk on Tuesday. Here are a few shots showing the assembly process. (Descriptions are UNDER each pic.)
The flat pieces, cut according to the pattern I posted earlier. Cut with a laser from 14 gauge stainless steel.
Beginning the process of sorting out who goes where - these are parts of the tail fin. You can see the leading and trailing edges up front and the side faces in the background. I use the neighboring pieces as bending guides; as the edges are drawn together, it forces the planar sheets to curve into the proper shape.
The tail tacked together.
Her hair being assembled. You can see some of the printed out guides from Rhino that I use to keep myself somewhat less confused.
The face was, ahem, a real bitch to get to fit properly. I should have broken that center strip up into at least 3 parts - this would have saved about 3 hours of bending and tweaking due to the tight curves in opposite directions lying right next to each other. I printed out a profile section at 1:1 scale from Rhino to use as a guide. Do you get the idea that I love that program?
Parts being finish welded.
One arm is assembled and chased, with another underway. This is about when I remembered fully just how hard 304 stainless really is. There is carbon in there, and it precipitates into the Heat Affected Zone around and in each weld - making it just that much harder right where you need to grind. Weee.
The other arm roughly finished and the start of the main portion of the tail.
Attaching the face to the hair - with both mostly chased out. This was the last of the small parts to get done before moving on to assembling the tail/body and hooking them all together.
Putting the structural member in. I designed the structure keeping in mind two factors: the fountain construction docs called for a 6“ sleeve to receive the sculpture, and aesthetics. I used 5” standard pipe to slide down into that 6" sleeve, plus the thick pipe looks less like a lollypop. Structural engineers in Norfolk analyzed my design and found it adequate without any changes to account for all the forces in play on the piece - that means I done goodz.
Torso panels going on.
Attaching the first arm - I was able to spin the pipe on the table in order to work on both left and right halves. My back thanks me. At this point, the size of this thing in comparison to the garage is becoming really evident.
John Kinkade of the Guild and Mike Allison helped me stand her upright. I built a shipping stand for her so she can ride upright on the truck out to Norfolk - I like to avoid having the piece in contact with the flatbed when possible to minimize the risk of denting the (relatively) thin sheet metal. I also prefer not to attempt to cover the sculptures - the coverings tend to do more harm than good.
Yours truly doing some final chasing on the parts I couldn’t get at in the garageshopstudio.
Got a sunrise shot of her the next day. Basically done but for some final texturing and nitpicking.
This was a huge project for me - not in terms of size, but time. Start to finish in just about a month is pretty much unheard of. I wasn’t sure if I could do it. 10 hour days for 30 straight days will do it, I guess. That and lots of beer and the support of a really awesome woman.
And some great friends.
And a good portion of too stupid to know better.