Exocubic Studio

Exocubic Studio

CinderCone: Back to the Drawing Board.

With lessons learned from the first burn trial-by-fire (literally), I went back into my model on the computer and started implementing improvements. Chief among these was a way to stabilize the grill and a better system for attaching the top section to the fire basin. I also wanted to add in an ash door and a way to stiffen up the feet (they had a bit of lateral deflection happening, albeit slight. Might as well fix it while I’m fixing, right?)

 

Belt line in Solidworks

 

The biggest change was adding a “belt” that ran along the entire perimeter of the joint between top and bottom. This kills two birds: the belt pins the grill down to prevent warpage, and provides a super-beefy means of attaching top to bottom. You can also see how I extended the bottom plate further out on the legs to stiffen them up.

 

Belt section

 

Detail of one section of the “belt.” I used tab and slot construction to spare me the hassle of alignment, plus it adds strength. Note the hexagonal cutouts that receive the nuts. Magic.

 

Belt complete model

 

The CinderCone’s “Belt.”

 

CinderCone V2 design

 

The finished V2 design. I added a bit of a “threshold” under the door to allow for a full 360° of attachment, top to bottom.