Exocubic Studio

Exocubic Studio

CinderCone: Making V2.0

Now that I’ve figured out how to correct the issues that presented themselves in V1, it’s time to implement the changes. That means generating new patterns for the laser and having the improved design cut. I also went with slightly thicker material — 11 gauge instead of 12 — to provide a touch more rigidity. Let the games begin!

CinderCone faces render.

The updated upper faces. Here you can see the threshold below the door, and the updated trio of fastener holes in the bottom of each face. ^

Laser cut metal.

Voila! The laser-cut metal in all its glory. ^

Bottom plate and fire basin faces.

The bottom plate and fire basin faces. ^

Bracket 3d model

The 3D model of the new & improved anchoring bracket… ^

Bracket

… and its real-world counterpart. ^

Brackets bolted into basin.

To insure a proper fit, I bolt the brackets into the fire basin and tack them together while there. Here, you can see how the ring of brackets pins the grill in place. ^

Brakcet ring on fixturing table.

Once tack welded, the brackets are removed, clamped securely flat, and the final welds added. Oh - about that work surface: I was massively frustrated with how my fixturing and clamping setup worked on the prototype, so I broke down and bought a fancy German fabrication table. I really only spend money on things that make making better. ^

That’s the first half of the assembly for version 2. I’m really pleased at how the design is working out, and the new welding table not only makes things easier, but insures that the quality of my parts is top notch.